I was excited to find out that SYTYCD is allowing a live audience to watch the audition process for the first time this year. On Monday, 2000 dancers tried out in front of a producer who whittled the list down to 250. Yesterday 125 of those tried out for the panel of judges including Mary Murphy and Nigel Lithgoe. Thankfully Mary wasn't screaming yesterday :) I flew out on the 6 am flight to JFK and was glad we arrived early so I would have time to make it to BAM in Brooklyn for the taping. The tickets were free from www.on-camera-audiences.com so I got tickets to both the 10 am and 2 pm tapings. They let us in to the theater in the middle of taping the group auditions around 10:40 and we stayed until they dismissed for lunch at 1 pm. We had to be back by 1:30, so I just waited outside in line again.
The second taping was by far the best. I can't tell any information about the contestants, but I LOVED some of them!!! Those who made it through the group freestyle auditions were given a chance to perform their solos with their own music in front of the judges. One of the dances was AMAZING! I can't wait to see it when it is on the show in May. The 2 pm taping lasted until 8 pm. Then I ran to grab a bite to eat before being back for the final part of the audition. Katie and Will from a previous season taught the dancers who were selected for choreography. It was so fun to see how quickly some of the kids picked up the routine. Of course, Katie and Will were amazing to watch too! We were asked to leave the theater before the judges did their final selections, so we waited outside to see who would come out the door with a ticket to Vegas. I finally headed back to the airport about 11 pm after a wonderful day.
My flight home was this morning at 6 am, so I managed 90 minutes of sleep on the couch at gate 14 after the airport opened up at 3:30 am. I made it home this morning by 9:30 and went to sleep. So much fun!!! And I got to meet so many interesting people too :)
No comments:
Post a Comment