Friday, September 3, 2010

NYC Trip in the HEAT

Troy and I were able to get away on an overnight work trip to NYC and everything was going smoothly until we left his laptop in the car and were unable to call our babysitter back to bring it to us.  So, we missed the flight we were scheduled on and grabbed a cab to take us home to pick up the computer and had to be dropped off at the airport again for the next flight (at least we live close to the airport!).  We had wonderful exit row seats and made it to JFK by noon.  I slept almost the entire flight so I could make it through my day!  When I woke up, I enjoyed the salad Troy brought from his office.  I also brought the rest of our Huckleberry Peach Pie from Apple Valley Store in Hood River to eat for lunch with some Ben and Jerry's ice cream from T5.  We ate that on the shuttle to Troy's office.  There wasn't a no food sign, but I still felt guilty eating on the bus!  After filling my water bottle (a must have), I took the E train into Manhattan while Troy worked.

Thank goodness everything else ran according to schedule and I was able to see my intended matinĂ©e of A Little Night Music starring Bernadette Peters and Elaine Stritch.  I thoroughly enjoyed the performance of both actresses, but the subject matter of the play was not appealing to me and definitely not appropriate for kids.  Bernadette's rendition of "Send in the Clowns" was the highlight of the show.  I didn't have time to make it to the TKTS booth in Times Square before the show, so I bought the cheapest balcony ticket and had to lean over the edge to see.  After intermission, I was able to move down into a better seat that was unoccupied.

I was surprised that it was as hot in New York as it is in Orlando!  The subways are pretty miserable in the heat...  The news said that they were having a heat wave, but at least there wasn't any rain from Hurricane Earl yet.  I only used the subway to get to and from the airport and the hotel.  The rest of the time I spent walking.  After my matinĂ©e musical I headed to the TKTS booth to get 50% off tickets to Promises, Promises starring Kristen Chenoweth and Sean Hayes.  They take credit cards now - yay!  I hate carrying large amounts of cash...  even though I do feel safe in Manhattan.

I enjoy looking at embroidered apparel when I travel to see the current trends, so I popped into some touristy shops while waiting for Troy.  It's harder to do with my children because they want me to buy EVERYTHING!  Troy met me for dinner and the show afterwards.  We went to Chai in Hell's Kitchen for some inexpensive Thai food.  http://www.chai-restaurants.com/  It was pretty tasty and affordable.

Promises, Promises was hilarious! http://www.promisespromisesbroadway.com/   I knew I would love Kristen, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed Sean in his role!  This is a show I wouldn't mind watching again.  The theater was sooo cold that I pulled out my JetBlue blanket to stay warm.  The seats don't have much legroom, but they are comfortable.

We stayed at the Manhattan View Holiday Inn which is one block away from the Q train and it has a much shorter trip into Manhattan than the airport hotels.  Our room was lovely with a full wall window.  It was easy to sleep since the noise level is quite low.  The area around the hotel is pretty scary though with graffiti everywhere.  I was glad I was walking with Troy at night!

Thursday Troy had to be in Manhattan for an off-site activity with work.  He went to the Nike store to have his team design custom running shoes for him.  The shoes should be made in about 4 weeks...  I hope he loves them.

I spent the day at Chelsea Market and walked around the neighborhood.  I was surprised how many cigarette butts littered the ground in the meatpacking district.  YUCK!  I also need to improve the length of time I can hold my breath when walking past smokers...  Chelsea Market was the perfect place for a hot day.  It is an indoor mall and has some fun shops.  I tried chocolate milk from the Ronnybrook Milk Bar http://www.ronnybrook.com/ - the cows listen to classical music while they are milked!  I also sampled a Caramel Fat Witch brownie http://www.fatwitch.com/  and bought day old cupcakes from Eleni's http://elenis.com/ (they aren't my favorite cupcakes).  My amazing meal of the day was from the Lobster Place http://lobsterplace.com/.  I bought a small sashimi plate and Spicy Salmon rolls to take to the airport for dinner.  They were fabulous!  I just wished I had gotten more.

During my wanderings in the sun, I came across Soapology http://soapologynyc.com/ and was given a free hand treatment.  It was amazing!  My hands feel lovely.  I've used a salt scrub before, but the walnut shell scrub was a new experience.  I will definitely stop there again when I have more time.  The clerk even gave me a small soap sample to take with me.

We caught the 5:50 flight home and made it in time to see the kids before they went to bed.  They loved their babysitter and want her to come back if we go again.  I DO have some more shows I'd like to see...

No comments:

Post a Comment