Friday, June 3, 2011

American Idol Semi Finals

I was so surprised to finally get an email telling me I could get tickets to American Idol for the show May 18th or 19th after my trip to Dancing with the Stars a few weeks ago!  This time, we were able to work it out so Doug and Troy could go with me - YAY!  Doug and his friend Angela flew out to Orlando and she stayed with the kids while we flew to California to see the taping. 

I decided to watch the performance show and since I had just been to the studio, I knew I wanted to stay at the hotel across the street. 

Doug and I flew into Long Beach and Troy worked in NYC all day and then caught a flight into Burbank to meet us.  The morning of the show, I just kept an eye on the line across the street and headed out at 11 a.m. when it started to form.  Troy and Doug hung out at the hotel to keep the internet access while I held our place in line.  I met a woman from Fresno who grew up in Merced and when to Aunt Karen's birthday parties!  Small world!!!  The woman in front of me had had her hip replaced by a doctor at Grossmonte Hospital on a machine that assists during surgery.  She said her scar was only about 3 inches and she recovered very quickly.  I'm going to see if I can get in to see him.

When they admitted us into the lot, the had us go in groups and gave us tickets with specific seats on them.  Before we went in, Doug asked me where my ideal spot would be and I said, directly behind the judges since the contestants perform to them and walk around their seats.  Due to Doug's height, the people handing out tickets decided we needed to sit in an area away from the normal area so he wouldn't block the view of people behind him.  After waiting on the benches until 4 p.m., we were allowed into the studio and to my surprise, we got my dream seats!!!

Doug went up on stage to dance during the preshow fun and was given dinner at Chipotle and some hot sauce made in Florida.  The commercials seem so long at home, but they really need the 4+ minutes to get ready for the next song.  My favorite was Haley Reinhart, with Scotty a close 2nd.  His voice sounds much better live than on TV!   After the show we headed to Burbank and caught a flight back to NYC and Troy headed off to work again.  Doug and I flew back to Orlando exhausted but we throughly enjoyed our quick trip!  Special thanks are due to Angela who made it all possible!  We really enjoyed having her and Doug spend a few days visiting.  I don't have my computer with the pictures, so I'll have to post them this fall when I get back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment